Pages


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Coffee Mate... It's Sir to you McMullan...

Early one evening I drove up to the gun position in my short wheel based Series II FFR (fitted for radios) land rover, with the adjutant I had been his driver for a while now.

I pulled up next to the RSM's (Regimental Sargent Major) land rover, as the adjutant was talking with the RSM, the RSM turned to me and said "make the adjutant a brew," which I duly set about doing. All the brew kit was set up in the back of my truck, the water was on, the tea/coffee, and sugar were in the cups, but no milk.

I turned to the adjutant and said "Coffee Mate."

The RSM turned on me, shouting" mate, mate it's Sir to you McMullan" at which point I raised the jar I was holding and pointing to the label I said "no sir, coffee mate."

The RSM and the Adjutant saw the funny side of it, thank goodness I did not fancy digging trenches all night.

No comments: