Pages


Sunday, April 13, 2014

He wants the men to take up a hobby

We had colonel in 27 Field Regiment Royal Artillery who shall remain nameless out of respect for the position he held. This Colonel (CO) in my experience never spoke to soldiers below the rank of sergeant; he kept a Filofax on every soldier above the rank of sergeant and in this would have information about them like their interests. Quite why I never understood. I was his driver on exercise and he rarely spoke to me. 

One day I received an order from my battery sergeant Major (BSM), I and other guys were to put on a display about our hobbies mine being bird watching/conservation. This was all for the benefit of the Commander of the Royal Artillery's (CRA) visit, his name was Brigadier Anderson. Now what usually happens is the CO would carry out an inspection of the displays the day before to make sure that everything is as he would like it to be for the CRA’s visit. 

On this day the CO arrived at my stand which consisted of a video of my German friends and I trapping and ringing a Little Owl (see photo), and I had a map showing the areas I worked in like the nature reserve I set up and areas of research on various birds species.

I talked him through what I do, after I finished he turned to walk away, saying "well I don’t think you will get many people joining your club". I looked at the BSM and asked him "what club is the CO on about Sir", he replied "I will tell you later", I said I would much rather you tell me now, to which he replied. The CO wants people with hobbies to come into camp on a weekend and take the single guys out on their hobby so that they do not go out on the piss at weekends.

Wide eyed and open mouthed I said to the BSM, if you think I am coming into to camp early on a Saturday morning after the guys have all been on the lash the night before and say to them “right who is for a bit of bird watching” it is so not going to happen Sir. I do not have a death wish. You must I think I am an idiot. The CO is not playing with a full deck, by the way the CO was into furniture restoration, flower ranging and clocks.

The following day, the we were all in the main hall of the cookhouse waiting for the CRA to arrive. He turned up and began inspecting the guys displays, which ranged from golf, football and of course mine. Eventuallthe CRA came to me as he look at the photgrahs that I had pinned around the map on my display board he said what bird is that. I replied "it's a  Tengmalm's Owl Sir" (see photo). The Brigadier said to me that he had never seen one of them before, what would the chances be of seeing one.

I said that I could arrange it but I would need to get back to him, I ask him how would I get in touch with him. Immediately the Colonel said come and see me bombardier(this was rank, which is also known as a corporal). I spoke with my German friends and it was all set for the weekend, the inspection was on Wednesday.

The next day I made my way to the Adjutant's office, I knocked don his door and requested to see the CO, he said the CO will not want to be disturbed. I informed him that I was here at his request in response to the CRA's request. He got up from behind his desk then knocked on the CO's door. Amazing what happens when you drop a name.

I was invited into the doorway for the CO's office and I informed him that I had arranged it for the CRA to see this owl on Friday night. Picking up the phone to call the CRA the CO said he is a busy man I don't think he will go at such short notice. At which point I  thought to myself, if he is half the birder I think he is, he will drop everything and come.

This is how the phone call went.

Col: "Hello Sir, it's Col X here. I have bombardier McMullan with me. he says he has arranged for you to this this bird. I told him that you are very busy and that you may... ah yes of course one moment Sir", the Col looked up at me and said "Bombardier when and what time do you want to meet the CRA" I informed the CO of the time and place where I would meet him. After telling the CRA the details the Col hung up and expressed his amazement that the brigadier would want to go with me to see an owl. I walked away with a smile on my face.

After all that the one person I did mange to get to join my hobbies club, was none other than the boss of my boss. How cool is that.

There are more stories to tell relating to the Brigadier, watch this space.

No comments: