Pages


Thursday, April 28, 2011

Jail him...

I don't care if his boots don't fit into his large pack.... That's what happened to me when as a young soldier on parade one day having our regular kit check for when we have to deploy into the field. Back then we were given step by step instructions on where our kit had to be packed into our large packs (which were not so large after all).

Our large packs were all the same size however, I was expected to get my size 12 boots along with my much larger clothing into the same size pack as my buddy who had size 9 boots and of course much smaller clothing.

When the Sergeant Major DEMANDED to know why my boots were not packed into my bag I tried to explain to him about the size difference. His response was to tell me to get my boots into my pack as per the kit list and again I tried to explain to him only to be cut short with the words "Don't argue with me, Sergeant march this man down to the jail" and I was swiftly marched off to jail.

Needless to say I did not spend the rest of my army career in jail and as time moved on our large pack became Bergen’s and you guessed it, I could get my boots into them just and I was still limited to the kit I could take with me. As for the Sergeant Major well I don’t think he ever got a life and he certainly did not feel the need to say sorry either.

No comments: